Saturday, January 31, 2009

No rest for the weary - CPSIA rears it's ugly head again


It seems to me that there's a bit of a conspiracy going on. Why does the CPSC keep sending out press releases that say NOTHING? They have now sent out two releases which at first glance make you feel like all is right in the world. And then you keep reading. I think they must be banking on the fact that the majority of us are too darned busy to read and ENTIRE press release and will stop at the part that makes us feel better.

CPSC Press Release

For those of you following this issue (and no offense here, but if you are new to this issue you must have been on vacation for the past month, otherwise there's no excuse) you need to know that NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The law has not changed. Retail and resale stores across the country are still prohibited from selling anything that does not comply with the new lead standards.

Here's a great blog with some description for you: Domestic Diva. And she is right. In my resale store, I can sell anything I want that has not been tested - as long as it meet the new requirements. And how do I know that you might ask? Well - since I am not related to Superman (x-ray vision and flying would be SUCH cool abilities) I am going to have to test my products. We have decided to take the financial hit of renting the XRF to test everything.

Am I required to do so? No. But if I sell something - knowingly or unknowingly that has more than 600 parts per million of lead, I could be fined thousands of dollars and potentially spend 5 years in jail.

So many people have asked me "are they REALLY going to come after you?". I don't know. But do you really think I should take the risk that my children might not see me at Christmas next year?

WOULD YOU???????

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are doing a great job. Most people are probably not aware of the impacts the lead law has had and the effects it has had on businesses and charitable organizations. Keep up the good work.
Larry